So yesterday I upgraded my Ubuntu on the laptop to version 9.04 – the Jaunty Jackalope I was a bit worried that it might get me into trouble with the Mozilla build, but since I’m at the Mozilla headquater this week, I was sure I could get help if it went totally bananas, better do it now, than when I’m back in DK was my thought 🙂
So as I thought it gave a build error – deleting the objdir and all random files I tried building again – this time I got the error:
…/mozilla-central/client.mk:284: *** Couldn’t find autoconf 2.13. Stop.
Kind of made sense, as the Ubuntu upgrade probably upgraded this component too, and in the process deleted the old version – so after figuring it out, the fix was easy, just had to reinstall the old package again:
~$ sudo apt-get install autoconf2.13
Restarted the build, soon enough I got the next error (well hidden in the build output):
Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
~$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
which seemed to fix it…, at least I now got a new error
Package dbus-glib-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path
~$ sudo apt-get install libdbus-glib-1-dev
Package libIDL-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
~$ sudo apt-get install libidl-dev
configure: error: Could not compile basic X program.
This was a new one, not directly complaining about a missing package… looking in the config.log file in the “root” folder of the build (mozilla-central) I saw an error about a missing X11 file :
error: X11/Intrinsic.h: No such file or directory
Searching my drive for this file only showed that it was under the scratchbox directories – not good enough – so a quick Yahoo search (yes, there are other search engines than Google) – showed that the file was part of the libxt-dev package – so I tried:
~$ sudo apt-get install libxt-dev
It didn’t seem to make the “X11/Intrinsic.h” file appear in my search on the disk, but the build got happy enough to no longer bother me with the unability to compile the basic X program….
I then got another error that I forgot to cut’n’paste into this entry, the way I solved it was to delete all the build generated files in the mozilla-central directory…
The I got a bad one:
gfxPangoFonts.cpp:1841: error: ‘struct _PangoFcFontMapClass’ has no member named ‘context_substitute’
That one is because the Pango library interface changed between Pango version 1.22 and 1.24, so this means that I’m kind of forced to upgrade my source base to the latest, but as I was working on a rather old base in the first place that is probably ok 🙂