Blog Image

MikeK's software notebook

What you will find

This used to be the place where I wrote stuff I was thinking about while working on the Mozilla project.

Maybe in the near future I'll start to update it again as I'm involved in a couple of new open-source projects - updates pending...

GStreamer running in Fennec

GStreamer Posted on 26 Mar, 2009 15:26:51

I have just seen the first embedded video clip in Fennec using GStreamer as the decoder. It played a small mpeg video clip – the performance is still lacking a bit but there are probably some things we can do to speed it up.

To see the video playing is just verifying that I have done at least something right in the process of updating the GStreamer integration.

Things still on the ToDo list (in the order I plan to do them):

1) Update the patch to the lastest version of the mozilla source (I’m running on a base that is about 1½ week old)
2) Create a new gstreamer source using our own network routines – the current integration leaves it up to gstreamer it self to load the data from the network
3) Do a runtime check on the data/mime type to identify if GStreamer is able to handle the data
4) Fix the rest of the TODO’s I left around in the code
5) Get a second oppinion on a couble of choices made in the integration
6) Attach the patch to the bug-report
7) Optimize
8) Attach a new patch to the bug in Bugzilla

How to get the sw to the N810

Why did I reboot? Posted on 26 Mar, 2009 00:32:22

There are aparently many ways to do this – and many ideas on how to do it 😉 – With help from the good people at #mobile, I did the following (more or less) to get a running version on Fennec from my own build:

1) First of all you need to get the build going to completion 🙂
2) Then while still in scratchbox goto the objdir that you specified in the MOZCONFIG file (you did specify an objdir, didn’t you?)
3) cd into the mobile directory
4) Do: make package – This will build a software package for your device
5) Assuming that didn’t give any errors, you should now have a <something>linux-arm.tar.bz2 file in …/objdir/mobile/dist
6) cd into the dist directory, we now want to unzip the package as it is slow and might be unsupported on the device. Run: bzip2 -d <something>linux-arm.tar.bz2
7) The above should have transformed the …tar.bz2 into a .tar file, copy this .tar file to your device (doesn’t matter how)
8) I did the transfer with a USB cable, and needed to unplug it before I could see the folder with the internal memory card.
9) Edit /usr/sbin/mmc-mount, and remove the “noexec”, “dmask=000” and “fmask=0133” from the file (you might need to be root to do this)
10) Do a cd /media/mmc2 (or where you placed the .tar file)
11) Run tar xvf yourFileName.tar
12) Do a cd fennec/fennec/bin
13) And then ./fennec
(14) If it still complains, you can ensure that the fennec file is executable, by chmod +x fennec)

I’ll stop for today with that ending – I dare not risk the rest of the night by trying to test the GStreamer video decoder in my build 🙂 (btw – the timestamps in this blog is GMT, I’m currently in GMT+1)


Update 2 Apr 2009:
It’s possible to avoid the bzip2 step, simple find the bz2 file in the file browser, open it (double click) and then extract directly onto the N810.